It is easy to become caught up in the whirlwind of life and overlook the little things that can bring joy to the moment. We move about our day on autopilot, focused on the next task, our worries, to remember to make an appointment for the dentist, or what we’re going to make for supper later that night. We miss out on some small thing right in front of our noses that can bring a smile to our face and thankfulness in our hearts. I’ll admit, this list may be somewhat amusing in its simplicity, but hopefully next time you experience any of them they will give you pause to remember how nice the moment is. Here are a few things:
- Warm water when washing your hands. I think we’ve all washed in room-temperature or even cold water at times without waiting for the hot water to flow through, but sometimes the water is the perfect temperature and it can feel like a luxury.
- Remembering and finding every item on your grocery list. I’ve arrived home many times to find out I forgot an essential item for supper, or they were out of an item I was going to buy (buying groceries at the peak time after work is not smart, I know).
- A steaming hot bowl of soup or stew on a chilly winter’s day.
- Pausing for a moment to bask in the sunshine after several grey days.
- The satisfying crunch of the first bite into a juicy apple.
- Birds singing their happy songs. Even the caw of a crow can be fun – did you know they will sometimes say “hello”? Check out this example here.
- When you go to pay for an item and you discover it is on sale.
- Receiving a note from a friend you haven’t heard from in a while.
- The scent of a freshly-cleaned bathroom.
- A pet who greets you at the door when you come home.
I plan to periodically add more to this list, hence the part 1 in the title. Please feel free to comment below about some of your favourite simple things that make you smile.